Changing the cushions, bearings and wheels on my derby skates.

Getting my hands dirty for derby.


It feels like Christmas! Earlier in the week I gave in and ordered new wheels for my derby skates. I'd been borrowing some to test them out and decided I needed my own. I never realised how hard it would be to get my hands on some 88s! The number is how soft the wheel is. Softer wheels give you more grip and traction as you skate. I  bought two sets (two skates worth) of 84a wheels and after the longest 3 days of my life they arrived!

I'd come home for lunch and my neighbour had handed me my package as I was unlocking the door. I'd unwrapped them then just so I could look at them. Then I had to wait out the rest of the day.

As soon as I got home I did a quick change into my comfy clothes and then with my mug of tea in hand I sat down and started watching tutorials. Today I learnt how to change the cushions, install new bearings and change the wheels. And I took photos as it did it.

My skates started looking like this. I lace them like this so I don't get foot cramp anymore!





First of all I took all the wheels off. Oh my god, the amount of hair I took out of my wheels. 🤢 
I bought a nifty tool that undid the bolts no problem. Once the wheels were off I had a good look at the trucks, those are the metal bits where the wheels attached.



I watched a quick video on how to change the cushions and off I went. The softer the cushion, the more flexibility you get in your trucks. This makes you more agile on your skates.
First of all I undid the bolts that were holding the wheel bits on. This revealed the top cushion which has a fitted plate on it. You'll need to use this plate on your new cushion. I took this cushion and it's plate off and put it to one side. Next I pulled the bracket out of the main plate. I then removed the second of the front cushions. This one also has a fitted plate. Then I popped the plate off and put it on the new cushion. I then dropped the cushion back into place making sure that the fitted plate was on the same side as when I removed it  (Plate down towards the boot). Then I rebuilt the truck in the reverse of how I'd taken it apart. Changing the second cushion as I had the first. Making sure the fitted plate was the right way round, (not against the bracket). I then did the same on the back cushions and the other skate. I swapped my black cushions which came with the skates for the softer yellow ones.






Next I moved on to my bearings. These are the metal disks that sit inside your wheels. I was borrowing the softer wheels and my original bearings were still on my original wheels. They're packed somewhere so I bought new ones. I didn't have to remove any bearings so I didn't bother getting a tool to do it. What I did have to do is install the new ones. I watched another video and then gave it a go without a tool. Using the naked trucks I dropped two bearings, both upside down, onto one of the wheel spindles. I then pressed the wheel into the spindle with even force until the bearing clicked into place. I did this for both sides, there are two bearings per wheel, and repeated on all the wheels.





Finally I screwed my new green wheels into place. I secured them tight enough that they didn't rattle but the wheel could still spin freely. 



I'll put some comparison photos below so you can see the changes. I haven't skated on them yet but I'll give them a review on Saturday after training. We'll see if they make a change to my skating.

L xx

P.s find me on Twitter @Laurenailie0 or Instagram, chonker-plonker for more of mine and Kelly's fitness transformation!








Comments

What's everyone else reading?